Thursday, December 18, 2014

Settling In

 We have been in Santiago for a week and a half now, and I'm really starting to feel settled in.  I've resumed running (yay!) and eating well (or better). I love living just a short walk from the river park where I can run in the shade.  I'll be honest, the river is no Clark Fork (more a dirty run-off river), but the park is very nice!  The weather has been absolutely lovely - mid 80s during day and upper 40s at night.  I have been trying to run in the mornings when it's still cool out, but fortunately, there is very little humidity, so even when it's hot in the sun, it's not bad in the shade.

 Yesterday Amelia and I went to meet George and Will for lunch at a hole-in-the-wall place near their co-working space.  It was neat!  The lady(ies) running it just have 7-8 main course dishes, 3-4 sides, and then 5-6 salad/veggie items set out. They are all pre-prepared, and you just pick which ones you want and they reheat them. George and Will have been there a few times now, but this was Amelia's and my first time. 


Comfort Food!

 The food was very good.  Very simple flavors, but tasty.  I would love to tell you what the meatball thing I selected is called, but without being able to look at the name printed I failed to commit it to memory.  I do remember pepino (cucumber), tomate (tomato), and arroz (rice). This was mostly because they are kind enough to have several magnets on the wall behind the dishes with pictures of various vegetables used and the names in English and Spanish. I should probably take the post-it's that I brought and walk around the apartment labelling everything... it seems to work for me!

 My running days are MWF, so even though I woke up early today (ok, before 9 at least), I just took some time to relax, drink some tea, and finish some last minute Christmas shopping on the interwebs.  After a short walk, I decided I was ready to treat myself to some lunch:  Chicken (pollo), asparagus (espárragos), tomato (tomate), and cucumber (pepino).  Have I mentioned that I love second summer?

Nom Nom Nom

Goal before next time: Take some photos of something other than my meals and the view from the balcony!  Especially while on the wine tour this weekend!  Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Albondigas -- See I told you I should come along as a translator. Try the seafood soon. Uncle Lou

Unknown said...

Albondigas -- See I told you I should come along as a translator. Try the seafood soon with Wines galore. Cousin Lou

Mary C. Lesica said...

noms Noms NOMS!

Jen said...

Louis! We could definitely use a translator, but we are making due! The wine is delightful and the seafood we had during the wine tour was very good :-)