Sunday, January 4, 2015

Hanging out in Santiago

Sunday again!  I really do love Sunday mornings in Santiago! The sun woke us up pretty early, and we walked to the produce market.  Although it is going to be a hot one today, it was still very lovely in the shade!  We picked up a kilo (2.2 lbs) of strawberries, 1.5ish kilos of peaches, a large bunch of bananas, and a huge bag of green, yellow, and red bell peppers for approximately $15 usd!  I am seriously loving having a second summer of fresh produce!

So, what have we been up to since New Year's Eve? Well, we were lazy on New Year's Eve, but we did have some wine and managed to stay up until midnight!  Glad we did because otherwise the fireworks definitely would have woken us up anyway.  The city was very alive with fireworks and drunk folk.  We were entertained. On New Year's day we did a lovely hike up to the Virgin Mary statue on Cerro San Cristóbal.  It was hot, but enjoyable!  Below are two of the pictures I took! 
Santiago! We live near the tall building!
Stray dogs everywhere!  This guy was beautiful!

After the hike, we just hung out and read/watched tv.  We were both very beat!  The sun really takes it out of you.  On Friday we did some grocery shopping and caught up with Will, Amelia and Cindy when they returned from their trip.  On Saturday George had work to do, so I did some reading and spent a little bit of time down at the pool. Aside from that, George and I did the first three Project Euler problems.  I'm using R to do them, just to keep working on my R skills.  I'm sure there are better languages for some of the problems, but it's really good practice! I'm thinking I'm going to try to work on at least one per week.

Which brings us back to today!  It's going to be a billion degrees.  Well, 95... with no humidity... so to my family in Florida and Texas, I know, that's nothing, BUT for George and I it's going to be rough!  Also our place doesn't have air conditioning... so there's that.  Goals for the day?  Hit the pool and get a cono!



So you can get two conos for 600 pesos, which is just under $1.  I see many conos happening during the next two months!
 

No comments: