Thursday, January 31, 2008

May 17th-20th: Brussels and Bruges!

A doggie in the window in Bruges :-) My favorite photo from Bruges!
Ben, Kevin, Me and Ryan in Brussels
The view from the top of the Belfort in Bruges.


Brussels
Madonna and Child


On Thursday Ryan, Kevin, Ben, and me made our way from Maastricht to Brussels. When we first got arrived, we were all just excited, but after an hour of walking, looking for our hotel, we were all a little short of temper (well at least I definitely was). We ended up in a rather shady area of town, and while I wanted to stop and ask someone for directions, the guys were uninterested in doing so (go figure!). Eventually we found the place and the funny concierge and size of the room put everyone in a good mood! The man who checked us in teased Kevin for his poor French… but I was a little jealous that he could at least understand a little! That evening we explored and had a good dinner, then the next morning we found a brewery and took a tour. While there, we struck up conversation with two other American college students (we are rather easy to pick out with our hoodies and school names). They were from Florida and we spent the rest of the tour with them, and shared a drink with them at the end. It was fun, and I was sad to see them go! We also found the Manneken Pis … hehehe (completely childish), and a chocolate factory! I’m in love with Belgium chocolate. Enough said.

During the train ride form Brussels to Bruges, Kevin, Ryan, and I struck up conversation with a Russian woman, who happened to be seated across from us. She was originally from Russia, but had traveled quite a bit, and had even spent time living in Chicago! We talked about Chicago for a while, and then she told us that she is currently living in Antwerp, Belgium. I would like to visit there :-) She also told us about her son, who happens to be about our same age. It sounded like a rather interesting situation… she was going to be traveling to see him for the first time in 7 years because he is getting married… to a 17 year old! While this seemed astonishing to us, she explained that where she grew up in Russia, if a girls isn’t married by 25, she is considered to be a spinster. I was rather taken aback by this… I can’t imagine being married at 17… that was almost 5 years ago… insane. She seemed quite happy about seeing her son though. Also she had the cutest little dog with her on the train… the Dutch and Belgium people bring their pets everywhere it seems! I like it!

Bruges: My new favorite place!
Ok so Bruges is amazing, perfect, beautiful, historical, and absolutely the most confusing city to find your way in! I loved it! Also Kevin has an amazing sense of direction, kudos! Our hostel room was cute, and everything just seemed rather perfect. We wandered, ate, wandered, rested, and wandered. That evening there was a carnival going on, so we went on some rides, and mostly had a good time people watching. We experienced Belgium waffles and some local beers. Wonderful. Leffe, I love it! We all slept really well that night, and the next day we went to see the Michelangelo sculpture Madonna and Child, the only Michelangelo north of the alps! Ryan and I also climbed the 366 winding stairs of the Belfort… well worth it for the view! We were also able to do yet another chocolate museum tour, buy chocolate, watch and see how lace is made, and eat another waffle. Oh! And we did a boat tour! It was all really wonderful. Everything I ate was good, everything I drank was good, and everything I saw was beautiful :-) Leaving was hard, but I was excited to get back and send out emails too. It’s funny… by the time I got back, I already considered Maastricht home… after only one week!

A few random observations:
Since we arrived it has rained :-\ Also it’s so cold in the mornings, but by midafternoon, I’m sweating! And it gets light outside at like 6 am, but it doesn’t get dark till 10 pm… I swear! I love the long days! Oh, and all the bathrooms that I’ve used have been extremely clean… puts American public restrooms to shame!

No comments: