Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Why am I studying abroad?

Even before I came to EIU, I wanted to travel. My Aunt Karen began traveling for work about 10 years ago, and she has brought souvenirs back from Thailand, Japan, South Africa, Italy, London, Australia, as well as many other places. She and I are very close, so when she returned, I was excited to see pictures and souvenirs. Each time she returned, the urge to travel grew stronger for me. I’ve traveled with my family, and some on my own in the U.S. I’ve been to Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Virginia, Florida, New Orleans, Las Vegas and New York… not too bad for a 21 year old. I just love the excitement of being somewhere new! In coming to college, my plan was always to spend a semester studying abroad. Unfortunately, in becoming an RA, I made the choice to save money instead of spending it. Because I wasn’t ready to let the opportunity to study abroad go, I began considering summer programs, and when I learned about the psychology one, I was sold. The ability to travel on the weekends, to learn about multicultural psychology during the week, and also to travel with two close friends were benefits that I just couldn’t pass up. In my trip journal I discuss my fears of a language barrier, cultural differences, and even my fear of being thrust into a class that is out of my comfort zone, but more than anything else, I was purely excited about the opportunity for new experiences.

No comments: