Thursday, January 31, 2008

Switzerland: May 24th-27th

Hang Gliding!!!The Crew: That Night in Switzerland
The Alps from Interlaken InterlakenOne of the Lakes Grindelwald! Me asleep on the train ride home... good weekend :-)





Switzerland should be my home. Ok, I know I’ve said that about everywhere so far, but this time I mean it… I even found myself constantly telling myself that I belong there because I’m more Swiss than anything else! Thursday we booked it after class and bussed, trained, and planed our way to Basel. We were worried about making our plane, but we checked in on time… although Ryan almost got “Steven Peter’s” ticket to London, instead of his two Basel, luckily all of that got sorted out in time! We didn’t do very much in Basel, but we did eat some tasty pizza! We went back pretty early and got in a good night of sleep before the trip to Interlaken the next day.

Friday morning was another decently early morning, but we were well rested. We took a train from Basel to Interlaken, and the scenery was beautiful! We arrived in Interlaken and set about finding the Funny Farm. Cool place. It was the first more typical hostel that we stayed in, but I liked the atmosphere very much! That night we mostly just walked around and took pictures of the beautiful scenery. I love mountains. Dinner was good. More walking to Wilderswil, the next town over… I just enjoyed walking, but I think Ryan was less interested. When we got back we set up Hang gliding for the next day, and then we hung out with a few other backpackers that we met. Four of them were from New Hampshire, and the other couple were from Ohio. We all played Catch phrase… it was nice. We went to bed decently early yet again… funny how early mornings and lots of walking do that. Oh! The people who we roomed with on Friday night sucked… loudest snoring EVER… and I’m pretty sure one of the guys had consumption… no joke… he should probably have been trying to get medical help.

Saturday morning we woke up and hit up the nearest Coop for yogurt, juice, and a croissant. Cheap and good! Then it was of to hang glide! We met Greggie and Ed, who took us. They were FREAKING COOL. Greggie speaks 5 languages and is working on learning Spanish now… how cool is that? Also, hang gliding was amazingly beautiful and a hell of a lot of fun! Afterwards they had some stuff to get together, so we took a walk to one of the lakes that Interlaken is named for (Interlaken = locked between two lakes). It was beautiful. When we were walking back from hang gliding, we literally ran into Marty, Alaine, and Eric, who were also on our same study abroad trip… they had told us that they might end up in Interlaken, but they were in Germany the day before, so we weren’t sure that we would see them. No cell phones makes meeting up with people much more exciting! Anyway, we made plans to meet them later… me and Ryan went to Grindelwald and they went zip lining! Grindelwald was a little further up in the mountains, and I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to take a bad photo there! Perfectly picturesque! We walked and souvenir shopped, and then stopped to get some coffee… good timing too, because it started raining! It was one of those perfect moments to me. When we got back, we ate a quick dinner then headed out for drinks with Marty, Eric, and Alaine. Thus “That night in Switzerland” began!… Marty is hands down the best story teller I know, and I love that Eric doesn’t know what it means when someone tells him something in confidence. I may have drank too much, and we ended the night at Hooter’s (ridiculous… we’re in Europe… but I swear there was not very much open!), but it was a hell of a night out!



Sunday morning we got up early yet again, and I took one of the top 5 showers of my life! Sure we had to use stolen table clothes for towels, and I washed with nothing but shampoo, but trust me… it was necessary! After that we packed up and headed off to the train station. When we got there we ran into the couple from Ohio… I was a little jealous of them because they were just pouring through a train schedule to decide where to go! There wasn’t a train to the place they wanted to go, so they were just up and heading to wherever. Awesome. Travel for the day was smooth. I got a window seat, and Ryan took the one behind me. He talked to a nice couple next two him. They were cute old people, and they told him that they run a farm that has been in the family for 300 years! Incredible! Made it back, caught up on emails, and slept!

No comments: